Sinelizwi Fakade, a successful commercial farmer in the Eastern Cape, is so passionate about sustainable farming methods, he embraces these practices on many levels, one of which is to share his knowledge with the youth. Angie Khumalo, presenter of the agricultural television show African Farming on Mzansi Wethu (channel 163) visited his farm to see what he is up to.
Khumalo couldn’t help but notice the line of green and yellow machines on his farm.
“John Deere will be pleased to see that the company is well represented on Fakade’s farm,” she said during the studio interview. She asked Jean Elloh, John Deere Sales Manager: Western Africa, about the company’s sustainability goals and how John Deere machines fare in minimising the company’s carbon footprint.
“Our machines are designed to consume less fuel, which reduces carbon emissions,” Elloh said.
“As a company we always look at ways to develop precision farming technologies to help a farmer plant more effectively. Precision farming helps famers to waste less resources. For instance, we invest in technologies such as targeted precision spraying of crops.”
In 2018 John Deere set its sights on a robust set of sustainability goals the company and its employees hope to achieve by the end of the fiscal year 2022. The 2022 Sustainability Goals address John Deere’s commitment to an ever-changing world and the need to protect its most valuable resources – both natural and human – and spur improvements in performance and innovation.
These goals include the following:
- Occupational safety: Achieve safety excellence through increased focus on leading indicators like risk reduction, health and safety management systems.
- Sustainable energy use: Reduce GHG emissions by 15%. This is achieved by generating 50% renewable electricity and focussing on excellence in energy efficiency.
- Responsible water use: Implement best water management practices in water-scarce locations.
- Increased recycling: Recycle 85% of total waste.
- Sustainable products: Reduce environmental impact, including CO2e emissions on 90% of new products. Increase the use of sustainable materials by remanufacturing and by increasing recyclable, renewable, and recycled content.
The company believes their sustainability goals will help drive manufacturing and achieve excellence, as well as focus on environmental stewardship, and further enhance John Deere as a great place to work.
John Deere is a world leader in providing advanced products and services. They are committed to the success of customers whose work is linked to the land. Since 1837, John Deere has delivered innovative products of superior quality, built on a tradition of integrity.
For information: Contact your nearest John Deere dealer, or John Deere’s office at 080 098 3821, or visit, www.deere.com/sub-saharan/en.