Amidst rising prices for mealie-meal, the Zambian government has reiterated that the maize export ban would remain in force.
Special Assistant to President Edgar Lungu for Press and Public Relations, Amos Chanda, said the continued ban was consistent with the ongoing discussions between the government, the Millers Association of Zambia (MAZ) and other stakeholders to stabilise the increasing prices of the national staple food. “The maize export ban will remain in place until further notice,’ he said.
On Tuesday President Lungu convened a meeting to find a solution to the escalating prices that in some areas had reached as high as ZMW130 from ZMW70 in the last few weeks.
The meeting was attended by the Minister of Finance, Felix Mutati, the Agriculture Minister, Dora Siliya, and the Commerce and Trade Minister, Margaret Mwanakatwe. The MAZ Chairperson Andrew Chintala and Food Reserve Agency (FRA) Executive Director Chola Kafwabulula also attended.
According to Chanda, President Lungu has urged for a quick resolution, and directed the minister of agriculture to work out the details of stabilising mealie-meal prices.
Last week the president said that he would personally intervene to stop the spiraling mealie-meal prices.