Read an interview with Andrew Chibuye, Partner, Risk Assurance Services, PwC Zambia, and a moderator of the roundtable on “Viable finance: Identifying the right lending schemes, packages and partners” during the Farmers Preview Day at the upcoming Agritech Expo Zambia in Chisamba on 12 April.
“My vision for agriculture is for it to become a greater part of Zambia’s economy as it is a real alternative to copper.”
Let’s start with some background on you and the work in the agriculture sector that PwC Zambia does.
PwC works with a number of key players in this sector providing assurance, advisory and tax services.
How important is the Zambian agriculture market for the country’s economy?
Fundamental. It’s critical not only to food security of the country but also to achieve diversification of the economy.
What in your view are the main challenges in the sector?
The main challenges include:
- Raising finance
- Availability of the right technology and its cost
- The cost of doing business
- Reliance on the uncontrollable climatic factors
- Lack of control on the commodity prices
- Adequacy of storage facilities
And the opportunities?
- Desire to diversify the economy towards agriculture
- Neighbouring countries – some have deficits on key crops
- Growing population
- Vast fertile bare land
- Development – growth in networks of supermarkets, retail chains and other local markets
You are a moderator during the Farmers Preview Day at the upcoming Agritech Expo Zambia next month with the discussion topic: “Viable finance: Identifying the right lending schemes, packages and partners” – what are your expectations of this roundtable discussion?
- Frank discussion on the challenges which are there.
- Constructive solutions to challenges in the sector.
- Learning from the panelists and other well versed experts.
What is your vision for agri in Zambia?
To become a greater part of Zambia’s economy as it is a real alternative to copper.
What are you most looking forward to at the event?
Meeting industry stakeholders and participating in the discussions.
This year’s Agritech Expo Zambia takes place from 12 to 14 April. Click here to visit their website.