Question: How important is water in the poultry industry?
- Water is a vital and important nutrient of poultry, and fresh potable water must always be available.
- Poultry drink twice as much water as the feed they eat and this fact must be borne in mind.
- Please note that these are approximate quantities and how much is consumed can vary depending on the climate and feed quality.
- It’s just as important to ensure that the water available to poultry is always fresh and potable (quality fit for human consumption).
- For optimal intake the water shouldn’t be too cold or very hot.
- Access to fresh potable water will ensure that production is not depressed because of lack of water.
- This article was written by Dr. Mick Versfeld and first appeared in Farming SA.