Power has been restored to the last two of seven provinces that experienced a power failure on Monday afternoon. In Lusaka, ZESCO senior public relations manager – Bessie Banda – confirmed that power were restored.
“ZESCO apologises for the inconvenience caused to our customers in all the provinces that were affected by the power outage that occurred on Monday afternoon,” she said.
According to ZESCO, a system disturbance in Kabwe, Central Province, put out a 330Kv transmission line plunging Copperbelt, North Western, Northern, Muchinga, Eastern and parts of Central province in darkness.
The latest power failure came barely two weeks after a 128 hour blackout in five provinces. Some farmers took to social media earlier to vent their frustrations.
“This is another huge loss, coming barely weeks after the earlier losses we had suffered,” said Patrick Chongo, a poultry farmer of Ndola, on his Facebook page.
Others were more scathing of the power utility company: “Can we get competent people to run ZESCO before the economy collapses to its knees?” Brighton Njovu, a dairy farmer had earlier tweeted.